It is a surgical procedure which is carried out to treat variety of neurological symptoms most commonly the weakening symptoms of Parkinson’s disease such as tremor rigidity, stiffness and walking problems. Some of the other neurological conditions which are treated include
- Essential tremor
- Chronic pain
- Tourette syndrome.
Why is deep brain stimulation done?
The deep brain stimulation is done to improve the quality of life for patients with movement disorder. When one’s quality of life is dramatically affected by the disease or by medication side effects, it’s time to consider deep brain stimulation.
Who is the right candidate?
The right candidate for deep brain stimulation includes those who have
- Candidates who have movement disorder with tremor, stiffness and their medications have begun to lose effectiveness.
- During troubling periods when your medication wears off before the next dose can be taken.
- The person who has developed medication-induced dyskinesias and shows excessive wiggling of the torso, head, and/or limbs.
- Deep brain stimulation is more effective and safer than ablative surgical procedures
- We see less long-term complications which are fewer than with traditional surgery. The traditional surgery involves remove small parts of the affected brain, while deep brain stimulation does not.
- The Stimulator is adjusted as per the needs of the patient.
Before the start of the treatment a MRI or CT scan test is provided to the surgeon. These images are helpful in calculating the three dimension al co ordinates of the brain. Next the leads are placed while the patient is still awake. The surgeon may ask you to move your arms, fingers and move your arms and stimulate a particular area of your brain to test. Once the leads are properly positioned, the surgeon will place the neuro stimulator under the skin of the chest, just below the collarbone. Next the surgeon will connect the leads to the neuro stimulator using extensions that run under the skin from the chest to your neck and head. Moreover DBS does not damage the brain tissue.