Lower back pain is caused by harm to the muscles and ligaments of the back. The lower back, which starts under the ribcage, is referred as the lumbar region. Pain in this region can be extreme and is one of the common causes of low to excessive movement. In most of the cases the low back pain often gets improved on its own. When it doesn't, you should always take advise from the experts.
Types of back pain
Back pain could be classified as
- Acute pain: is defined as pain for less than 3 to 6 months, or pain related to tissue damage.
- Chronic pain: This type of chronic pain is due to a clearly identifiable cause like spinal stenosis and spondylolisthesis.
- Neuropathic pain: In this pain the signs of the original injury are usually gone and the pain that one feels is unrelated to an observable injury or condition
Causes of low back pain
The cause of low back pain in mainly due to
- Disc injury
- Disc degeneration
- Spinal Stenosis
- Degenerative Spondylolisthesis
Some of the treatment of Low back pain includes1. Rest and Medications
2. Physical Therapy
3. Surgical method- the surgery which could be recommended varies according to the case.
- Spinal Laminectomy
- Artificial disc replacement
- Spinal Fusion
How to prevent low back pain
- By maintaining good postures at all times.
- Having a weight as per height and weight.
- Exercise regularly. Proper exercise can help to strengthen and increase flexibility of back muscles and help to increase bone density.
- Leading an active life .
- Avoiding same position for a prolonged period of time.
- Sleeping on a firm mattress.